Dedicated to Increasing Literacy Rates in our Community..
My Three Readers is dedicated to helping parents and teachers find great tools of literacy for teaching a child or student how to read. Inspired by the book "How to Read: a Kick-Start for Beginners of Any Age", our aim is to help beginning readers of any age. Feel free to browse our website for great articles all about literacy & tools for learning to read.
Statistics below are from the website "dosomething.org". The website has also campaigns you can join if you want to "do something" about fighting illiteracy in your community and in the world. Sources from these facts can be found on the sources page of dosomething.org. You can also Google "literacy center near me" and make a contribution or volunteer at a local literacy center.
- 2/3 of students who cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare.
- Over 70% of America’s inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level.
- 1 in 4 children in America grow up without learning how to read.
- Students who don't read proficiently by the 3rd grade are 4 times likelier to drop out of school.
- As of 2011, America was the only free-market OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) country where the current generation was less educated than the previous one.
- Nearly 85% of the juveniles who face trial in the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate, proving that there is a close relationship between illiteracy and crime. More than 60% of all inmates are functionally illiterate.
- 53% of 4th graders admitted to reading recreationally “almost every day,” while only 20% of 8th graders could say the same.
- 75% of Americans who receive food stamps perform at the lowest 2 levels of literacy, and 90% of high school dropouts are on welfare.
- Teenage girls between the ages of 16 to 19 who live at or below the poverty line and have below average literacy skills are 6 times more likely to have children out of wedlock than girls their age who can read proficiently.
- Reports show that the rate of low literacy in the United States directly costs the healthcare industry over $70 million every year.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $8.52Was: $9.99
Price: $8.92Was: $9.99
Price: $10.97Was: $19.96
Price: $4.29Was: $4.99
Price: $5.99Was: $9.99